Cosby St Michael and All Angels
Feb17

Cosby St Michael and All Angels

Cosby is around 6.5 miles south of Leicester in the district of Blaby. Its nearest neighbour the smaller Littlethorpe used to be part of the parish of Cosby and had its own chapel where the priest from Cosby would have held mass. The location of the old chapel in unknown but I would expect it to be some where near the old square in Littlethorpe. The church at Cosby is mostly later Middle ages in the Decorated and Perpendicular style,...

Read More
East Norton All Saints
Feb17

East Norton All Saints

Situated 12 miles east of Leicester the village of East Norton which the busy A47 passed through is now bypassed, and the road now passes to the south of the village. The census in 2001 records a population of 94, in other words a small village as most are in this area of Leicestershire. In medieval times the manor of East Norton belonged to the Priory of Launde, after the Reformation it passed like Launde to Gregory, Lord Cromwell...

Read More
Thrussington Holy Trinity
Feb17

Thrussington Holy Trinity

Back to Leicestershire and my slow progress up the River Wreake. The village of Thrussington has a population of around 500 and is a few miles north-east of Leicester just off the busy A46. The church of Holy Trinity is a small church with nave, chancel, south porch, north & south aisles and west tower. The oldest fabric dates to the 13th century with later additions. There are traces of an earlier south wall visibly externally...

Read More
Stonton Wyville St Denys
Feb17

Stonton Wyville St Denys

Stonton Wyville lies 11 miles south-east of Leicester in the district of Market Harborough. As with Cranoe and Glooston which are already in the Journal, this again is a very small village which forms part of the Gartree Hundred which was an administrative area dating back to 1086. There was a priest mentioned living in the parish in 1086 but the earliest parts of the church date back to c 1300. It is built of Ironstone rubble and...

Read More
Welham Church At Andrew
Feb17

Welham Church At Andrew

Welham lies 4 miles north-east of Market Harborough and the river Welland runs nearby to the south of the village which forms the county line with Northamptonshire. It is a now a very small village of one street, in earlier times (as in most rural villages) the population was higher, in 1603 the village had 86 communicants. Today the population is below 50. The church sits apart from the current village and it is probable that the...

Read More
Shangton Church St Nicholas
Feb17

Shangton Church St Nicholas

This quiet little village some 10 miles south-east of Leicester has never had a large population and like so many around east Leicestershire it has plenty of charm. The village is recorded in the Domesday Book and was thought to be part of a bequest to Burton Abbey (Staffs) in 1002-04. After the Norman Conquest there were three holdings in Shangton, those of the king, Robert de Vescy and Hugh de Grentemesnil who had the largest...

Read More
Thorpe Langton St Leonard
Feb17

Thorpe Langton St Leonard

Four miles north of Market Harborough is the small village of Thorpe Langton, which means ‘long town’ from the Anglo-Saxon. In the early 19th century the census returns reported 215 people living in the village in 1821, this gradually declined to 83 in 1881 but has increased to nearly 150 as recorded in the 2001 census. The church at Church Langton was the mother church of the chapel at Thorpe Langton, and both of them...

Read More
Glooston St John the Baptist
Feb14

Glooston St John the Baptist

In 1086 the recorded population of Glooston was eight. This village increased to 177 by 1831 but has steadily declined to 54 in the 2001 census. There has been some new housing near the road to Goadby so perhaps this has increased. But we can still safely say that this is a small village like so many others in this area of Leicestershire, and like them it is also located in beautiful countryside. It has been occupied for centuries, a...

Read More