Lyndon St Martin
Mar04

Lyndon St Martin

Just a few miles south of Rutland Water is the small village of Lyndon which in 2001 had a recorded of around eighty people. It is rather a ‘blink’ and you’ll miss it village with most of the properties away from the main road but it is a pretty little place with a nicely situated church. The parish is not mentioned in the Domesday Book but was probably one of the outlying ‘berewicks’ of Hambleton which...

Read More
Uppingham St Peter & St Paul
Mar04

Uppingham St Peter & St Paul

Uppingham is an attractive little market town in Rutland with a surprisingly small population of only 4,000. This is swelled by a large number of students (nearly 800) during school term at the large private school which the town is famous for. The town is not mentioned in the Domesday Book and is thought to be one of the seven outlying manors (or berewick) of Ridlington which is a village nearby, now much smaller than Uppingham. The...

Read More
Glaston St Andrew
Mar04

Glaston St Andrew

Approximately two miles east of Uppingham is the village of Glaston. It is bisected by the busy A47 and the population is a round 220. The area has been inhabited for thousands of years in 2000 a excavation uncovered ancient remains from the last ice age. There is a link to the web site where further information can be read on the excavation. Back to our near history and I do include the Norman Conquest as being near. In the Domesday...

Read More
South Luffenham St Mary the Virgin
Mar04

South Luffenham St Mary the Virgin

Seperated from North Luffenham by the River Chater the pleasant village of South Luffenham has a population of less than 500 and is set a few miles south of Rutland Water. The village is split into two by a tributary of the River Chater with the church on the south side by a small green. In 1086 the village was part of the manor of Barrowden and it passed to the Earls of Warwick. The Greenham family of Ketton owned a manor in South...

Read More
Braunston All Saints
Mar04

Braunston All Saints

Three miles south-west from Oakham is the pretty Rutland village of Braunston with around 400 inhabitants. Rising to over 600ft to the north from the river Gwash the parish adjoins Leicestershire on its western boundary. Mentioned in the Domesday Book the village was probably a berewick (satellite village) of the manor of Hambleton. For a long while the chapel at Braunston was dependent on the ‘mother’ church at Hambleton...

Read More
Theddingworth All Saints
Mar03

Theddingworth All Saints

This small village lies on the main road between Lutterworth and Market Harborough on the border with Northamptonshire. It straddles hills looking over the Welland Valley. Recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 it had 38 inhabitants, in the 16th century around 250 and in 2001 recorded at 230. To the south of the village lies Hothorpe Hall now a wedding and conference centre. Originally there was a hamlet at Hothorpe but the tenants...

Read More
Tugby St Thomas a Becket
Feb26

Tugby St Thomas a Becket

Tugby is just off the busy A47 to the east of Leicester. In the Domesday Book the village was recorded as Tochebi and part of Rothley Manor. Later in the 12th century the village was named Tokebi. It may derive from the Tokisby or ‘Tokis Farm’ from the Danelaw period. The church of St Thomas a Becket is sited towards the north of the village near to the A47. It consists of a west tower, south porch and aisle, nave and...

Read More
Thornton St Peter
Feb24

Thornton St Peter

The church at Thornton is set on the side of a hill overlooking the reservoir, it is a very pretty location but before 1854 the reservoir did not exist. The village is 8 miles north-west of Leicester and its nearest neighbour is Bagworth with its interesting 1960’s built church. The village name means a settlement walled by strong hedges – thorn hedges, hence the name. There was probably an earlier church on the site, but...

Read More