Edith Weston St Mary
Mar04

Edith Weston St Mary

With a population of over a 1,000 this Rutland village lies very close to the south side of Rutland Water. It has an unusual name which is derived from Queen Edith who was wife to Edward the Confessor. There is mention of a monastic cell at Edith Weston which may have been sited in the grounds of the Old Hall. The Old Hall was pulled down in 1830 but there is some probability that it stood to the north-west in the park where there are...

Read More
Tickencote St Peter
Mar04

Tickencote St Peter

With a population of around 70 people this small village is a few miles north-west of Stamford next to the busy A1. The name derives from the Saxon Ticcen and Cote, meaning the place where goats and kids were herded when the country around was forest. The village lies on a slope from the Great North Road to the river Gwash below. At the time of the Domesday survey the manor was held by the Countess Judith and it passed eventually to...

Read More
Brooke Church St Peter
Mar04

Brooke Church St Peter

Three miles south-west of Oakham is the small village of Brooke which is at the head of the River Gwash. In 2001 the population was recorded as 211. Half a mile north of the village was the priory of St Mary of Brooke which was founded during the reign of King Stephen before 1153. By the 16th century it was mostly ruinous. Today there are some remains of the priory built into a later structure and I hope to add this as a separate...

Read More
Empingham St Peter
Mar04

Empingham St Peter

With a population of over 800 this village lies to the east of Rutland Water along the A606. On 12th March 1470 during the War of the Roses the Battle of Losecoat field took place near the village where the Yorkists under King Edward IV defeated the Lancastrians under Robert Welles, 8th Baron Willoughby de Eresby. It is reported that Lord Willoughby who was being held hostage by the King was beheaded before the battle in front of his...

Read More
Caldecott St John the Evangalist
Mar04

Caldecott St John the Evangalist

Caldecott is the most southerly village in Rutland and is located about 4 miles south of Uppingham and today has a population of approx 260 people (2001 census). The village was mentioned in the in the Domesday as attached to Liddington (Lyddington) and held by the Bishop of Lincoln. In 1246 the Hospitallers were granted a free warren in their demesne lands in Caldecott. There was also a Snelson village that lay to the north of the...

Read More
Tilton on the Hill St Peter
Mar04

Tilton on the Hill St Peter

With a population of around 450 Tilton is approximately 10 miles east of Leicester in some fine Leicestershire countryside. The village is sited on some of the highest ground in Leicestershire at 719 feet above sea level. In the Domesday Book survey of 1086 there was a priest so it is highly likely a previous structure church stood on the site. There is also evidence that the village is sited on a Bronze Age crossroads. The earliest...

Read More
Great Casterton St Peter & St Paul
Mar04

Great Casterton St Peter & St Paul

This village with a population of 434 (2001 census) is only two and a half miles from Stamford and hence very near to the county border of Lincolnshire. The remains of a Roman fort and town have been found northwest of the church with earthworks still remaining. The manor passed to the House of Lancaster and the remaining manors were passed through many families and you can read more on this by following the link to the excellent...

Read More
Stoke Dry St Andrew
Mar04

Stoke Dry St Andrew

Stoke Dry is small village in Rutland of around 14 dwellings just two miles south of Uppingham. It overlooks Eyebrook reservoir and has views into Leicestershire & Northamptonshire across the Welland valley. It is sited on a slope and in the Domesday Book was part of the manor of Lyddington and hence the Bishop of Lincoln. There is of course far more information on the manor and early years at the British History site and I have...

Read More